First and foremost it’s important to realize that decluttering is different from cleaning. While it’s certainly important that sellers keep the living spaces clean, decluttering is a different process entirely. To declutter a home the seller needs to remove extra “stuff” from rooms.
1. Remove Personality – Take down pictures and remove personal items; allow buyers to envision their own story within the home.
2. Edit – Look at the items in each room. Remove anything which makes the room seem smaller.
3. Open Drawers and Closets – Home buyers will open every drawer and closet. Showcase the storage of your home by keeping these clean and tidy.
4. Garage – It’s tempting to move everything into the garage but investing in a short term storage unit is a much better idea.
5. Remember the Yard – Decluttering must extend to the yard. Trim hedges and remove extra brush and debris.
6. Include the Kids – Get some help from the little ones. Invest in baskets and bins to keep toys away from buyers’ eyes.
7. Stay Consistent – Selling your home can take longer than a weekend. Create a strategy to keep your home clear of clutter.
By following a few simple tips, home sellers can declutter their homes and ensure they can offer buyers a beautiful home to consider.